Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Horror of Genoa

I was disturbed and angered by a report of the police brutality during the 2001 Genoa G8 summit in this morning’s Guardian. It’s written by a reporter named Nick Davies and is based on evidence gathered by Italian public prosecutor, Emilio Zucca. I was, at the time, vaguely aware that the Italian police had been violent towards protesters, but I was unprepared for the unremitting horror described in this account. It reminded me of 120 Days of Sodom by the Marquis de Sade with act after act of viciousness and humiliation in a world where morality is replaced by brute force. No doubt I’ll get back to trivia in my next post, but in the mean time I urge you to read this story…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was also deeply disturbed to read this article yesterday and hope that it does get wider readership. Fascism still seems very much alive, and the powers that be will not hesitate to use violence without predujice when their interests (e.g. money) are threatened. Seatlle a few years earlier was a very similar story.

Tristan said...

I agree. The whole issue of governments using violence against their own citizens is interesting - we elect them, then they set the dogs on us! I think that's what you'd call a disfunctional relationship...